Tuesday, July 01, 2003

My dot-com experience

All this talk about dot-coms has put me in the mood to reminisce ...

In the middle of the dot-com bubble, I was approached by the folks at TheLaw.com to become one of their academic columnists. (I was recommended by my good friend, Lydia Loren, who also took the leap and became a columnist.) After signing the "consulting agreement" and receiving my grant of stock options, I wrote one column and the company tanked. I don't think there was a correlation between my writing the column and the company running out of money, but that pretty well illustrates my luck as a business person. (Why do you think I became an academic?) Shortly thereafter, the company had a revival, attracting an investment from former-NYC Mayor Ed Koch, and it is still going today.